Iced Coffee Season

Kurt Soller has an excellent post over at Grub Street explaining why a cup of iced coffee costs so much more than a cup of hot coffee. With the unseasonably warm March temperatures a lot of cities have been having, I think iced coffee season is already in full swing.

(from Teresa Stanton on Flickr)

To me, it's interesting that everything about iced coffee, from the coffee grounds, the cups, and even the ice itself, increases the cost compared to a hot cup of coffee. If you have the patience, iced coffee is easy to make at home, and I strongly recommend the cold-brew method.

I've complained in the past that the coffee scene in DC leans heavily toward the "Japanese method" of iced coffee. Soller's article makes me think that New York leans more toward the cold-brew method, or at least it has a better balance of each method. For reference, Starbucks uses neither of these methods, they just brew hot coffee twice and strong and pour it over ice, which is really the least preferable method of them all.

I always make a point to ask baristas how the iced coffee is made when I visit a new coffee shop. The worst answer is definitely "I don't know" because it means it's either made in a way that they're not proud of, or the barista is completely ignorant to the product that he/she is selling.

0 comments: