Skip to main content

Counter-Counter Culture

Alex Baca's story on the coffee scene in DC is definitely worth a read. I know that this article has been in talks for a long time, so I'm happy to see it finally come to print, even if I'm way late in making these comments about it.

(from counterculturecoffee on Flickr)

I've expressed my distaste for Counter Culture coffee in the past. I have no reason for disliking it other than the fact that it doesn't taste great.

I recently confirmed this opinion when some friends of the blog hosted a blind coffee tasting. Four of us tasted 4 coffees, including one Counter Culture roast. I picked the Counter Culture as the worst tasting, and none of the other tasters picked it as their favorite. It was hardly a scientific study; but it did confirm my personal belief that there's something off with their coffee.

It irks me that so many of DC's "independent" coffee shops serve Counter Culture, because I don't like it. I especially dislike the company's required method of brewing iced-coffee; but that's for another post.

As Alex's story makes clear, coffee shops in DC don't necessarily serve it because they believe it's the best, they're contractually obligated to serve it under an arrangement where Counter Culture helps pay for some of their start-up and overhead costs in exchange for exclusive rights to serve their coffee. From a business perspective, this makes sense; but most of these shops' customers will never know it.

Now, I happen to think the absolute best coffee shops in DC are the two that roast their own coffee right on-site (Qualia and Sidamo), but I also realize it's not reasonable to expect this from everybody in the coffee shop business.

To me it's actually more a question of what we consider a "local" or "independent" business. I like to support these types of businesses, but when a product is getting shipped in from North Carolina and served at over a dozen different coffee shops, how local or independent is it really?

If a local entrepreneur buys a Denny's or iHOP franchise, is that a local business? That's debatable. Obviously it's part of a big corporate chain, but the owners might still live right in the neighborhood where it operates. On the other hand, what obligation does a coffee shop have to source coffee from a different company than their competitors? A bar can serve the exact same drinks as its competitors and still be a better or worse place to go.

A good compromise would involve a local coffee roaster supplying the beans to the local coffee shops. That's a lot easier said than done, but in terms of calling a coffee shop authentically local or independent, I think that's what it would take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…