Skip to main content

In Defense of Road Tolls

I don't do much driving, but this year, I've made a couple of long-distance trips. The first was a round-trip between Washington and Akron - about 700 total miles. The second was the round-trip between Washington and Virginia Beach I did back in August - about 420 total miles. The first trip cost an extra $30 in tolls. The second trip was "free" as we often think of it. The first trip was generally low-stress and easy to drive. The second trip was high-stress and challenging to drive. Both trips took roughly the same amount of time (6 hours each way).

(from Joming Lau on Flickr)

When I tell people that I paid $30 to drive on the Pennsylvania and Ohio Turnpikes, they usually respond with "oh, what a ripoff" or "that's really expensive" or something of the nature.

I think the price is completely worth it.

See, people want to drive on a road as nice as the Pennsylvania Turnpike, with as little traffic, they just want it to be "free". The problem is that it's counter-factual thinking. It's easy to imagine cruising down the Turnpike at 65 mph with minimal traffic and say "I want to pay less for this," but you can't, because if there were no toll, then a key variable would change, and there's nothing to say it wouldn't be just as packed and congested as any other "free" interstate.

Honestly, I cringe at the thought of ever driving to Virginia Beach again, in slow-moving, stop-and-go traffic. I dread the delays, the red break lights, and the sea of vehicles ahead as far as the eye can see. I hate the complete unpredictability of the drive and not having a good idea of how long it's going to take.

So yes, as a driver, I think tolls can be great. As a consumer, sometimes it makes sense not to always be totally cheap. Often it's better to pay more to get something that's a better value. When it comes to my highway driving experience, I think that's exactly the case.

Comments

eclisham said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
eclisham said…
Well, I'm going to have to disagree here. I understand that free highways get congested and toll roads less so (although feel free to drive the New Jersey Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway during any rush hour to be proven wrong!). However, part of the reason for that is that traffic, including heavy truck traffic, that would normally travel via a toll road often diverts to (usually smaller) back roads. Heck, I do that myself when I can. So toll roads really don't equalize the cost of roads across all users.

A better solution, although I hate paying it, is a real increase in the gas tax, as Connecticut has done. Gas in Connecticut is wicked expensive, as they like to say there, but it reflects more accurately the cost of maintaining the road system.

As you point out, roads really aren't "free," and we will have to figure out an equitable way for users and the public to pay for them. Ultimately that probably means a difficult conversation about charging based on vehicle miles traveled, but until the technology and privacy issues can be addressed, a "serious" -- as in, it can realistically address the costs it is intended to address -- gas tax seems to be the logical solution. And, for those who don't ever want to raise any taxes, ever, we could call it a user fee, which is what it is.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…