Skip to main content

The Motorist's Worst Enemy

A few weeks ago I was riding my bike east on M Street NW on way to work, as I do nearly every morning. If you've never been on this road, it's important to establish that, in an attempt to move the maximum number of vehicles in and out of the city as quickly as possible, M Street becomes a six-lane roadway during the morning and evening rush, with traffic signals timed so that motorists can cruise through Georgetown making as few stops as possible.

On this particular morning, I pulled up to the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue NW just as the light was turning red. As I waited, the motorist behind me started honking obnoxiously at me. He wanted to turn right on red, but I was in the way, and he wasn't happy about it.

(from Irish Typepad on Flickr)

I've seen and heard enough anti-bike screeds to know that bicyclists who don't always follow traffic rules usually get placed in the center of the debate. The argument often follows that if bicyclists want to share they road, they need to behave like motorists. And yet, there I was, getting honked at because I wasn't illegally going through the red light on my bike. It was quite perplexing; but needless to say, I didn't budge until the light changed to green.

Back in April I rented a car for a weekend to drive to the Cleveland International Film Fest. It was the first time in a while that I've done a significant amount of driving in a short period of time, and it really reminded me just how stressful of an activity it is. As soon as I got on the road, I could feel myself getting tense and anxious. I felt a sort of anger that I could barely control, and couldn't easily explain either.

The motorist's real enemy isn't simply the bicyclist, it's anyone and anything that gets in the way. It's pedestrians, it's joggers, it's people out walking dogs. And don't forget about buses, taxis stopping to pick up passengers, and of course, other drivers. It's even the police, and it's one of the few contexts when a lot of otherwise law-abiding citizens resent the presence of law enforcement officers.

At the end of the day, bicyclists are easy targets, because a few of them behave badly, and their behavior is easily noticeable. But I do think the real frustration doesn't stem from that behavior itself, but because it's one of the many obstacles that makes driving an activity that isn't especially enjoyable. On the road, motorists probably hate each other more than anything else, but it's hard to articulate that, so someone else needs to be there to take the fall.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree - I hate the other motorists around here more than anyone else. I find Maryland drivers the worst, then Virginians, then DCers. Oh well.
Will Handsfield said…
Great post, memorable quote "It's even the police, and it's one of the few contexts when a lot of otherwise law-abiding citizens resent the presence of law enforcement officers."

I'd also add that driving is one of the few contexts where society tolerates otherwise law abiding citizens acting like utter sociopaths and routinely endangering the lives of others.
Anonymous said…
He wasn't honking at you to make you go through the red light. He wanted you to move over and wait in the "straight" lane (the center lane of the three lanes). East bound traffic at that light has a dedicated right turn green arrow signal. The right lane is dedicated to turning right onto southbound Wisconsin, and you were blocking it.

I know. That's been my bike commuter route for 15 years.

Other than that, your quote was good.
Rob Pitingolo said…
That's interesting. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I'm in that lane. I have definitely seen people keep straight from the right lane, so if it's truly a "right turn only" situation, then I've witnessed a number of motorists who don't take that to heart.
Anonymous said…
I've been bike commuting in DC for several years now. Even in lanes that continue straight, I try to move left within the lane (maybe use the crosswalk a little) to let cars turn right when I reasonably can. Then I move back after they've turned.

Sure, it's not required by law, but it's just polite. Why not do it?

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…