A Coffee Snob's Dilemma

It probably doesn't come as much surprise to anyone who reads this blog regularly that I'm a little picky when it comes to coffee and coffee shops. I love local, independent shops. Since I've moved to DC, I've made it a point to visit as many as I can. There is one thing that binds the DC area's local coffee shops together - many of them source their product from Counter Culture Coffee.

(from pchow98 on Flickr)

I'd like to think I've given Counter Culture a fair shot to impress. I've drank it at numerous coffee shops. I've bought the beans and brewed it at home. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to get into it.

So while my objective opinion is that Counter Culture Coffee isn't all that great, I also feel like I must be missing something that other coffee snobs get - otherwise, why would all these local shops be selling the stuff?

Honestly though, I'm really looking forward to spring, when the weather gets warm enough that I can start roasting my own beans in the back yard again. It's fresh, it's delicious, it's inexpensive, and if I roast a bad batch, I really don't have anyone to blame but myself.

0 comments: