Skip to main content

Urban Canada

Like I previously mentioned, Montreal has never really been a city that was on my radar, which is a bit of a shame, because as far as cities go, it's pretty awesome.

(from manumilou from Flickr)

Unfortunately, the limited time I spent in the city means my observations are limited to what I saw downtown. I stayed in a hotel near McGill University, and ventured up and down Rue St. Catherine, but otherwise, wasn't able to explore any neighborhoods outside of the core. Even so, downtown provided me with more than enough observations about Urbanism in Montreal.

A True 24-Hour City?
The truth is, most places are not 24-hour cities; which is a shame, because there's something almost magical about a city that has something going on all the time. Remember when I mentioned my unexpected attraction to the movie Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist? Deep down, I know it's because I want to experience New York in a similar way that they did.

But back to the point... I saw at least two 24-hour Second Cup coffee shops in downtown Montreal. Maybe they're the only two in the city, maybe there's more. I don't know. But that's still two more 24-hour coffee shops than most cities have. I wasn't actually awake past midnight, but I did notice decent pedestrian traffic around downtown, even at 11pm.

I don't want to jump the gun and declare Montreal a true 24-hour city, because I simply didn't see enough of it to honestly draw that conclusion, but at least it's a city that's busy and open for business after dark. That's something I definitely appreciate.

Graffiti Everywhere
Here in DC, you don't see graffiti covering everything in the "nice" parts of town. And you'd definitely never see it in a Metro Station. In Montreal, it's everywhere.

(from canadapost on Flickr)

Admittedly, it made me a little uncomfortable at first - not because it's inherently problematic, but because I've been conditioned to expect that graffiti exists in the bad parts of town and gets painted over in desirable neighborhoods. It didn't seem to bother Montreal's locals though, who went on with their lives as if it didn't exist. I can barely imagine an Apple store in a neighborhood with graffiti covering the nearby walls, and yet, in downtown Montreal, there it is.

This really poses bigger questions about crime. Despite the fact that graffiti is everywhere, and police presence seemed rather thin (at least compared to what I'm used to seeing), the streets still felt perfectly safe. There were enough pedestrians and "eyes on the street" to put you at comfort. To me, it goes to show that busy streets make for the safest streets, all else equal.

Bikes, Trains and Getting Around
When bike sharing was the hottest topic in DC, I heard a lot about Bixi of Montreal. Their system is closed for the winter, so unfortunately, I wasn't able to see how it compares to Capital Bikeshare; but it's a good example of the progressive stance the city's leaders take on transportation issues.

I did use the Metro system, which, from what I experienced, is convenient and pleasant. It's the third busiest heavy rail system in North America, and carries more people everyday than Metrorail in DC. The conversation I had with locals leads me to think it's as much a part of the local culture as a transit system could be.

Another World Underground
Typically, I don't think that anything that takes people off the streets and puts them someplace else is good for urbanism. I also understand the desire for this type of environment in a city where it's very cold. Ultimately, I feel torn, because Montreal's Underground City is vast and people use it for practical purposes; but it doesn't seem to detract from the environment on the street above either.

Comments

Mel said…
Re: graffiti. I noticed the same thing in Toronto, especially in the Kensington Market area. I think it oddly added to the aesthetic and urban-vintage feel to the neighborhood.

But, as you, I felt "on my guard" at first -- until I realized that nobody else seemed to mind.
rdi said…
Grafitti in Canadian cities doesn't carry the gang associations it seems to in the US. In some areas it's even a legitimate art project.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…