Homelessness vs. Carlessness

Emily, a friend who's guest posted here in the past, recently started a new blog, The Glam Nomad. I'm intrigued by what she's doing. From her About page:
This is a story about a girl who sold all of her earthy possessions except the clothes off her back (ok, she kept a decent amount of her wardrobe, a girl has to dress!) and simply lived life, one day at a time.
The other day I wrote about my experience living without a car in Dallas, Texas. Emily's story is about the experience of living without a home in Dallas, Texas. The experiences are similar in more ways than you might think.

(from itselea on Flickr)

The unfortunate reality is that it isn't easy to live without either a car or a home in a city like Dallas. What's striking is that, in a major city, it's nearly as difficult to live without a home as it is to live without a car.

I'm interested to see how Emily's experience plays out, whether she experiences stigma and challenges from people who don't understand what she's doing, and what unexpected events happen along the way.

1 comments:

    Hey Rob! Thanks for the mention on your blog! From my experience so far (one month), it is feasible to be house-less in Dallas, but not car-less, especially since my car provides a decent amount of storage space and allows me to "roam" during the week. In addition to that, since I'm not staying in the same place most nights, it would be extra prep work on my part to map out a route to get to work every day. (I know that sounds lazy, but the last thing I want to do in the morning before work is research DART or bus schedules, when it's not a feasible means of transportation from most of my friends' places.)

    Like you experienced, it's not safe or fun to walk all the way down Denton Drive to the office from the nearest bus stop, but the Green Line opening tomorrow will change that. When you move back to Dallas (haha) you'll be able to enjoy an enhanced public transportation system! Or, I'll let you borrow my car! ;)