Parking Prices Visualized

Big hat-tip to Housing Complex for linking to this report by the National Parking Association that shows parking rates for Central Business Districts throughout North America.

There's a lot of data in the report. I pulled out some of the stuff I thought would theoretically be the most relevant to everyday parking. I've barely gotten a chance to dig into this stuff, but here are a few simple graphs I pulled together comparing parking rates in various cities.

This first graph is the price of lot / garage parking for the first hour.

(click to enlarge)

This next graph is lot / garage parking for 12-hours.

(click to enlarge)

And lastly, lot / garage parking for 24-hours.

(click to enlarge)

There's some surprising and not-so-surprising things in here. Parking is expensive in New York and Boston but dirt cheap in Buffalo and Houston. Who didn't already know that?

At the same time, what's going on with parking in Orlando? I know stuff is expensive at Disney World, but that couldn't be the explanation here, could it? I wouldn't have guessed it to be at the top of the list.

One argument that I often hear when it comes to parking goes something like this: if planners want people to come to cities they need to provide parking. There needs to be a lot of it and it needs to be cheap or free. Looking at this list, I can see that there are some cities that have vibrant cores, and there are other cities that don't, even when the parking is cheap.

1 comments:

    If only someone would add the price for downtown meter parking to this.