Skip to main content

It’s Not All Downtown

Maryann Haggerty has a pretty good article in last Friday’s Washington Post about a road-trip she recently took to Cleveland. Like most travelers, Haggerty thought, by default, that the place to start her trip is downtown. However, due to a (very rare, if I must say) shortage of hotel rooms in Cleveland, she wound up staying in Ohio City.

(from shrocket on Flickr)

Downtown Cleveland is, admittedly, pretty barren on the weekends. Yes, there is stuff to see and do, but the atmosphere is lacking. At the same time, isn’t this true these days of most big city “downtowns”? I ride by bike through downtown DC on the weekends and it often looks like a ghost town. Sure, there are tourists making their way from hotels to the sites, but it seriously lacks energy. Or how about downtown Manhattan? Aside from the tourists taking photos of the NYSE and Trinity Church, it can be downright freaky to walk on nearly empty streets in the shadow of towering skyscrapers.

If you really want to experience Cleveland or Washington or New York, you really need to venture into the neighborhoods. It's the neighborhoods where cities truly get their charm.

Where would I go if I only had one weekend to spend in Cleveland? I probably wouldn’t spend any of it downtown. I’d start in my old stomping ground on the east side. I’d have a cup of coffee and catch an independent film on Lee Road. I’d get a plate of wings on Coventry, then follow it up with an impossible-to-find but delicious beer. I’d spend two hours waiting for a table to eat a fancy grilled cheese. Then I might head to the west side of town, have a Great Lakes beer right at the source and buy some food at the market that Haggerty speaks so highly of. If I had time I’d eat pizza in Little Italy or see a show in the Gordon Square Arts District.

Similarly, if I had a guest visiting DC for one weekend?.. I’d be pretty bummed if they wanted to spend all their time downtown. I’d take them to Georgetown, Dupont Circle, the Hill, U Street, and Adams Morgan, just to start.

I like to travel. I like to visit cities. When I do, I like to stay in the city, not the suburbs. Often, downtown hotels are cheap on the weekends, and it seems like an obvious place to set-up base. There’s always the temptation to stay downtown and see the things that visitors are “supposed to see” – but staying away from the neighborhoods often means staying away from the best parts of any city.

Comments

B. P. Beckley said…
Yeah, I saw that article. I live in Ohio City, and it was nice to see.

You're probably right about most downtowns being kind of dead. Cleveland, unfortunately, is particularly badly served by the view from downtown, because it always seems so ghost townish, even during the weekdays. The buildings are still there, though, you can imagine it bustling. Maybe someday.

When I was in my 20s in the Washington suburbs, it really never occured to us to go to the actual downtown, it was always Georgetown or Adams-Morgan or Dupont Circle or something. I mean, where IS downtown Washington? K St and Connecticut? Actually, there were restaurants we went to in that area, I think, tending to the more expensive and formal, but you went to the restaurant, not to the neighborhood.
Rob Pitingolo said…
B.P., referencing this neighborhood map
of DC, downtown is defined as the area around K Street from maybe about 9th to 23rd. There's still stuff happening there, even outside of the work-week. I suspect that because there are so many hotels that it can support some street life that cities with weak hotel markets cannot.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…