Gourmet Hot Dogs

Danielle Douglas has an article in tomorrow's Washington Post about a new restaurant, called DC-3, opening on Capitol Hill next week. The cuisine?.. Gourmet hot dogs.

(from Flickr user stu_spivack)

Maybe you're thinking what I'm thinking: how could the words 'gourmet' and 'hot dog' possibly go together? I don't think they can, frankly. A hot dog, not matter how good you want it to be, is still a hot dog. You can dress it up with lots of fancy toppings, you can boil it in beer, you can inject it with cheese and other delicious fillings, but at the end of the day, it's still a hot dog.

According to Douglas's piece, "gourmet dogs at DC-3 will cost about $6 with a side order."

Here's the thing, I'm not against hot dogs. I'd love to see a couple of Gray's Papaya knockoffs open up around town. There's just something about the whole turning inferior food into gourmet pub fare that rubs me the wrong way.

On the other hand, a few years ago people could have made the same argument about a certain grilled cheese restaurant that I happen to like. But the thing about that is that the grilled cheese accompanies a killer bar. So maybe that's the key to this hot dog thing... draw people in with the dogs, but ultimately win them over with an awesome bar.

5 comments:

    I think that the grilled cheese/ hot dog ratio is somewhat of a mismatch because cheese is very much a gourmet food, hot dogs not so much.

     

    You never made it over to the Happy
    Dog, eh?

     

    I went over to the Happy Dog one time, but didn't realize that they're only open for lunch one day per week. And it wasn't the day I went.

     

    I think they've expanded the lunch hours now, but that seems fairly irrelevant for you. Congrats on the namecheck from Richard Florida.

     

    I just read an article the other day about a $69 hot dog at a restaurant in NY...

    This gourmet hot dog stuff is quite the trend.