The Story of Facebook

I was at the movies last weekend to see Inception when I caught this trailer before the film.



When I heard some of the dialogue I immediately knew that this was going to be a movie based on Ben Mezrich's book The Accidental Billionaires. I think Ben Mezrich is a very good storyteller. I think his books are incredibly entertaining; they are the definition of 'page turners'. And at the same time, that's the problem - I've never read a biography by any other author that reads the way Mezrich's books do.

It doesn't help that in a preface to The Accidental Billionaires, Mezrich discloses that his primary source for the book is Eduardo Saverin, a character in the story who has a lot of reason not to be fond of Mark Zuckerburg. Maybe Mezrich's interpretation of the story is realistic, maybe it's not. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't entirely accurate.

There's also the inevitable problem that occurs when books turn into movies. With a single exception, I always find the book to be better. If you look at what happened with another of Mezrich's books, Bringing Down the House, which was later turned into 21 - the director of the movie altered Mezrich's story significantly; even going so far as to change the role of major characters.

Oh, and of course, this new movie could become instantly irrelevant if it turns out that Mark Zuckerburg isn't even the majority owner of Facebook.

0 comments: