Parking Meter Technology

This is a parking meter outside my new office. It accepts coins of all value; and it takes credit and debit cards. I haven't really played around with one yet, so I'm not entirely sure what their capabilities and limitations are.


I love seeing this technology in place, especially after recently expressing my frustrations with technologically non-advanced parking meters.

I think this technology has a lot of promise. For instance, one thing that people hate about parking at meters is that you never know exactly how long you're going to need to stay parked. If you're feeding coins into the meter, inevitably you wind up either overpaying for time you don't use or not putting in enough change and getting a ticket. Even though getting a ticket is the worst case scenario, neither is particularly ideal. With the credit card technology, we could potentially charge motorists for exactly the number of minutes they spend parked in a particular space.

There are potentially other improvements to inefficient parking that these meters could provide, I hope to see more of them around the neighborhood soon.

1 comments:

    On June 13, 2010 Paul said...

    The sad part is that I believe a lot of cities oppose such meters, as they lose a lot of revenue from parking tickets.