My New Car

I just got a new car. Well, it's not really mine per se... last week I signed up for ZipCar here in DC.

(from Flickr user Rakka)

I haven't actually driven any of the ZipCars yet, so I can't speak to what I like and dislike about the service. Honestly, I have a hard time imaging ever really needing to use it. I've got my bike available for most trips and so far it's been working just fine for me.

I think of the membership as a sort of insurance for those theoretical emergency situations that people talk about - when life absolutely cannot go on without a car... Based on my calculations, even if I drove a ZipCar for ten hours a month (which I certainly don't imagine doing) it would still cost less than owning my own car that sat in the garage and was never driven. That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all...

2 comments:

    On June 15, 2010 Anonymous said...

    Just thought I'd share this blurb from Felix Salmon on Zipcar's insurance:
    http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2010/06/15/how-comprehensive-is-zipcars-insurance/

     
    On June 21, 2010 JackPo said...

    I'm absolutely addicted to zipcar. I have my own car, but still use zipcar for quick tasks in NYC. Re-finding parking is that much of a nuisance...