Skip to main content

The Ultimate Planes Trains & Automobiles Trip

Back in January I mentioned my desire to ride an Amtrak train sometime in the near future. Next week I'll be doing it. In fact, I figured I might as well take the opportunity to explore a few different modes of long-distance transportation in our country while I'm away.

(from Flickr user jpmueller99)

On Friday morning I'll board a Lake Shore Limited train in Cleveland. About 12.5 hours later (and hopefully on-time) I will arrive at Penn Station in New York City. The decision to pick New York as the destination was made easy by the fact that I won a free stay at the Affinia Manhattan back in the fall. Since hotel is actually a stone's throw away from the entrance to Penn Station, it felt like a sort of calling.

After a two night visit, I'll hop on a BoltBus in Midtown on Sunday night and travel 200 miles south to Baltimore. On Monday I'll take a MARC train from downtown Baltimore to Union Station in Washington for an afternoon meeting. By evening I'll catch a Southwest flight from BWI back to CLE. Of course I'll be using public transportation in all 4 cities. I may even hail a cab or two. As much as I'd like to bike around New York, I don't think I'll be able to make it happen this time.

Now for the bleg: I'm looking for interesting urbanist related sights and attractions around New York City. I saw all of the touristy stuff that I wanted to see during my last visit, so now I'm looking for the cool stuff that doesn't get featured in the guidebooks. I'm also looking for a recommendation on good crabs (for a reasonable price) in Baltimore. I'll probably only have time for one meal, so I'd like to make it a good one.

This will also be the first trip I'll be taking since I got a smart phone. In the past, I've planned out my trips ahead of time, set an out-of-office email and taken a break from technology for a few days. This time, you will probably have to deal with my stream of 'ordinary observations' via my Twitter if you subscribe.

Comments

B. P. Beckley said…
A word to the wise -- don't count on the Lake Shore Limited being on time, either leaving Cleveland or arriving in New York. It's the unfortunate reality.

I saw someone off on the LSL a few months back, and I found a non-Amtrak website that somehow automatically tracks the progress of all the Amtrak trains, so, if you can find that, that might be helpful on telling you when you should be at the station. I no longer have the URL, unfortunately, I did some kind of websearch to find it.

But enjoy the trip. If you sit on the left side, you may be able to see Buffalo Central Terminal (sadly unused) as you go through. If you sit on the right side, you'll have the good view of the Hudson between Albany and NYC.
herrVebah said…
If you haven't already, make sure to check out the new pedestrian malls in Times & Herald Squares and Madison Square Park in front of the Flatiron Building. Also the High Line is a fantastic new urban park concept.

For good, cheap-ish seafood in Baltimore, head to Faidleys in the Lexington Market (it's at the back of the market right off of Paca Street. They make a killer Soft-shell crab.

Too bad you won't have more time here in DC to check out all the new bike lanes DDOT has been adding including a sweet contraflow lane on 15t St NW.
Rob Pitingolo said…
BP, I believe the website you are referring to is http://www.amtrakdelays.com - based on their data, in the past four weeks the LSL has arrived in New York City early 20 times and late 5 times. Knock on wood, but that doesn't seem too egregious to me.

herrVebah, I have seen the new pedestrian malls. I haven't been to the high line, but I've heard good things. Thanks for the tip on the seafood, as well.
Anonymous said…
I'd suggest renting a bike and going up the Greenway from Battery Park all the way to Inwood Park (along the west side). The ride is especially pleasant north of Harlem, and you might keep an eye out for neglected paths and possible improvements north of the George Washington Bridge.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…