Skip to main content

A Winter of Bicycling Fun

Between December 1st and yesterday, I biked 285 miles (which I tracked using the awesome website dailymile). Almost all of the riding came in the form of simple "around town" trips in Cleveland. This was the first winter that I tried it. You can call me crazy, just about everyone else has.

(from Flickr user debs-eye)

It turned out to be much less physically difficult than I expected; and really put the "it's impossible to ride a bike in Cleveland in winter because it's so cold/snowy" argument to shame (at least in my mind).

Now, I know that many could leave comments here and say, "dude, it is impossible for me for me to bike in the winter. You only live a mile and a half from school and you took public transportation to work. I don't have those options where I live." Statements like that remind me about the goals of a decent urban environment. It isn't that biking was my only option for getting to class; or that public transportation was my only means of getting to work. If that were the case, I'd be stuck in the same dilemma as people who have no transportation options besides driving their cars (except that people would want to take pity on me).

By far the worst part of all of it was dealing with the people who talked very condescendingly about the experience; the people who got upset when I politely turned down their offer for them to drive me someplace, as if I was helpless child unable to get myself around. It was a harsh reminder of the long way we will have to go to make even a small dent in the completely auto-dominated culture.

Another challenge that I hadn't anticipated is that my bike really took a beating! The salt they put down on streets is great at destroying everything in its path. I'm going to need to buy a new chain and I definitely need my gears and brakes tuned-up.

Comments

Nick said…
Dear Rob,
I'm also a student at Carroll and I try to ride in the winter as well! Although I doubt I've logged as many miles as you have, I do try and make the choice to ride when things are closer than five miles from where I am.

When I ride in the wintery weather it isn't the cold or the snow that is a deterrent, it's the ice! I've nearly met my match three or four times over various patches of ice. But, I'm always wearing my helmet so I'm usually good.

I'm sorry to hear that people have been condescending towards your riding. I thankfully haven't had that experience yet.

I do understand that your bike takes a beating. I just try and wipe mine down right after I get finished riding, although in the winter I have taken to riding fixed and have a lot less to get beat on.

Happy and Safe Riding!
Nick
Rob Pitingolo said…
Hi Nick, thanks for stopping by. Where do you park your bike at JCU? I park mine in front of the O'Malley building, but for the past few weeks I haven't seen any other bikes on the rack.

I haven't found ice to be much of an issue. The streets that I ride (like Silsby and Washington) tend to be well salted and dry most of the time. I haven't bought parking pass the past two semesters, which aside from saving me a few hundred bucks, has made biking the default option.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…