Skip to main content

Teenagers in Suburbia

This is a comment that a friend of the blog emailed to me yesterday:
Here's something I noticed on Saturday night: I stopped at the Westlake Giant Eagle at around 9:30pm and found tons of teenagers just hanging out and walking around the store. Is that some new trend I've been missing out on?
I can't comment specifically on this being a trend, as I do not spend much time in suburban supermarkets. I do, however, have a theory about teenage behavior in suburbia.

(from Flickr user Malingering)

The turning point for most American teenagers is when they turn 16 and get a drivers license and their own car. There's some evidence that fewer teens are driving or getting licenses once they turn 16. Some are telling the "technology" narrative, that teens don't need to hang out in big box parking lots anymore because they can hang out on Facebook. I think it's even simpler than that.

Driving is expensive. Almost no 16 year-old teen can afford it on his own. In suburbia, the cost of driving has historically been subsidized by parents. Maybe a kid had a job at McDonald's and paid part of the cost, but hardly the full burden. This arrangement also gave disciplinary leverage to parents. If their kid got a bad grade or misbehaved, just take away the car - it's the ultimate form of punishment.

Things are different now. Mom & dad are out of work. The mortgage on their house is underwater. Something's got to give. If the parents say no to giving their kid a car on his 16th birthday, that's tough luck; the kid probably won't be able to afford one on his own. And without the necessary resources, what's the point of spending time and effort in driver's ed? So yeah, of course fewer kids are getting drivers licenses; but they are still stuck in car-dependent suburbia and they still don't have a whole lot to do.

Comments

W. K. Lis said…
In my son's case, he got his license for identification purposes. Normally, he takes the bus and HRT subway on dates. The car is used rarely.
Rob Pitingolo said…
W. K. Lis, I'm not sure what the situation is in your state. I know that in Ohio you can get a state identification card without having to go through the whole process of getting a drivers license. I had a learners permit for most of my teen years which served the same purpose, I suppose.
John Morris said…
Yes, I'm sure you can get a non-driver ID in all states.

I have never had a license.

Did a post and linked. Your Washington post link seems to be broken.
Rob Pitingolo said…
Thanks, John. Link should be working now.
JN said…
In California you can get a non-driving ID card, but there's some stigma involved. Many officials and official documents simply ask for a "driver's license" when asking for identification, and my wife actually had to go through an extended application for her passport. We called the passport bureau to ask why she had to go through the extended process (which involved asking such varied questions as "Where were you baptized?", the birthplace and jobs held by every member of her immediate family, and a copy of her photo in her high school yearbook), and they said "Oh, she sent in a state ID and not a driver's license. That's always a red flag."

(Also, our learner's permits aren't valid for ID purposes.)

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…