Skip to main content

In Defense of Gift Cards

Today is Christmas, so it seemed appropriate to write a post about Christmas gifts, specifically giftcards. Giftcards are big business, but they've developed a bad reputation. Take this rant by Barry Ritholz, for example:
Nothing says “I am both thoughtless and inconveniencing” like a gift card. They let the recipient know that you couldn’t be bothered actually picking out a present, so here is a cash equivalent — only so much less convenient than the crisp paper kind of cash. And, you can only spend it in one place. How much do gift cards suck? Each year, $5 billion in gift cards go unclaimed, forgotten about or lost. That’s how much people value them — they throw away $5 effen billion dollars worth every year! They are an expensive and inefficient way to say “I feel obligated to get you something, but don’t know what.”
In some cases, Ritholz is right. If someone gave me a giftcard to a business where I had zero interest in being a customer, I might put the card in a drawer and forget about it. But that's only a problem if the gift-giver is really bad at giving giftcards; and if they are, they are probably really bad at picking out a 'normal' gifts too. Typically, giftcard givers have at least some idea of the stores I like.

(from flickr user yum9me)

The supposedly 'more efficient' alternative, giving cash or a Visa/Mastercard/AmEx giftgard, is definitely a worse option; here's why: if someone gives me cash for Christmas, I might spend it on something fun for myself, or I might spend it on something really lame, like rent or textbooks. If someone gets me a giftcard to Chipotle, one of my favorite restaurants, I'd be pretty happy. With the Chipotle giftcard, I have an extra incentive to go since my burrito is already paid for. If I didn't have the giftcard, I might opt for a cheaper restaurant I enjoy less or eat macaroni-and-cheese at home, since my own cash would be on the line.

Giftcards give a little 'nudge' to do things I enjoy but might otherwise feel guilty about spending my own money on. In economics-speak, giftcards eliminate the opportunity cost of life's little pleasures. Since I can't spend my Chipotle-money on rent or textbooks, there's really no harm in going and scarfing down a burrito. That's what makes it a good gift, it's something I can treat myself too, even if I otherwise wouldn't have because the opportunity cost was a little too high.

Comments

JEFF9K on Twitter said…
Good points. An alternative is to give money and specify how you want it spent: "Buy something fun", "Spend it at a coffee shop", etc. It's a little bit more versatile.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…