Enough with the Pity

I suspected that bike commuting in the winter would have its challenges, but the challenges have turned out to be a bit different than I anticipated.

(from flickr user Antony Pranata)

The cold isn't so much a big deal. Strong winds have been challenging, though. I think the worst part, however, has been dealing with the people who feel the need to comment about how awful it must be that I'm riding a bike in the winter.

I first noticed this back in October. It was about 45 degrees in the morning - a great temperature for riding, as it turns out. While I was locking my bike up in front of the building I was going into, a woman on her way to work stopped and mentioned "how cold I must have been on my ride". Now that the temperature has gotten really cold, it's not even worth mentioning that I rode my bike to wherever I am. I really do not need the pity.

2 comments:

    Yeah, it is really a perception thing. Until I started riding a lot this year I though oh the 40's that's too cold. But in truth that is plenty fine for a ride.

     

    I just did a quick 2-mile ride in 46 degrees and it was great.