Skip to main content

Parking Games

I visited a grocery store with a friend last weekend. It was in a typical suburban strip mall - the kind of place with an excess of parking spaces that will never all be filled at any given time.

(from flickr user jgrimm)

I would expect the parking lot to fill up in a predictable pattern - the spots closest to the door filling first and then moving outward away from the store. But that's not exactly what I observed. All of the closest spaces were filled; but tons of spaces slightly farther out were available, and yet some people drove in circles, apparently waiting for one of those occupied spaces to become vacant.

This behavior baffles me. I can understand if someone is disabled. I might even be able to shrug it off it the weather was inclement. But these were fully-abled people on a clear, cool and dry Sunday afternoon.

And the other thing is, even the farthest parking space from the door isn't particularly far away. The number of steps that a typically shopper takes inside the store is probably a significant multiple of the number they take in the parking lot, regardless of where they park. And nobody carries their groceries outside at this store anyway - they push them in a shopping cart all the way back to the car.

A friend of the blog suggested to me that people behave this way because they are playing some kind of strange parking lot game. Taking any open space other than one right next to the story would be conceding defeat; but circling and waiting for that prime space to become available makes the person feel like a winner. It makes sense in a twisted way, although I'd like to believe we haven't devolved to that.

Comments

Zima said…
rob, you really need to make that banner a link to your homepage like it used to be.

parking? the psychology of it is ridiculous. The only reason huge lots exist is so that there will never, ever be a time that they fill completely up. Stores are willing to front the cost all year round so they project the notion that they are never turning away a customer. Christmas-centered society? yeah
Rob Pitingolo said…
I'll dig through the CSS and see if I can get that link back up there.

Sometimes the retailers don't even get a choice. Local governments create zoning laws that legally require X number of spaces per Y square footage of retail space. I don't know what the law is at the strip mall in question, but I imagine it's up there.
Anonymous said…
No offense but some of your recent posts have hardly been "extraordinary observations". Maybe its time for a break? More observing and less writing?
ChuckinTucson said…
This reminds me of a friend of mine who lived in San Francisco. He would drive around and around a block looking for a meter with some time on it, instead of just putting $.25 or $.50 in an expired meter. Probably spent $5 in gas circling the block to save $.50 on a meter.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Good Advertising

The blogosphere seems to be one fire over Microsoft's new "Lauren" TV commercial. Frankly, I don't see what the commotion is about.



If the critics are correct, then "Lauren" is actually Lauren De Long, a Screen Actors Guild eligible actress; and apparently, if you look close enough, she never even enters the Apple store.

Even if all of that is true, it doesn't refute the fact that Apple's laptops are significantly more expensive than most PCs. It isn't a lie that Apple doesn't sell any 17-inch laptops for less than a grand. The advertisement doesn't make any reference to the quality of the machines (or contest any of the claims made in Apple's "I'm a PC" commercials) or provide any good reason to buy one other than price.

As far as I can tell, after years of horrible commercials and a series of flops, Microsoft seems to finally have hired an ad agency that put together a decent advertisement. It's not likely to persuad…