Skip to main content

Why I Hate Ticketmaster

Yesterday's Planet Money's podcast had a pretty good explanation of why Ticketmaster is able to get away with its evil pricing practices. It's a short podcast, so go ahead and take a listen.

Here's the story in a nutshell: for every concert, sports event, children show or whatever, there are a fixed number of tickets available and a certain number of buyers willing to pay for them. The Ticketmaster price, after the fees and surcharges, is basically the equilibrium price for those tickets. I guess that makes sense...

(from flickr user Godverbs)

The reason I (and presumably many others) hate Ticketmaster is because of the way the company presents the price of its tickets.

Here's an example. Last winter, Angels and Airwaves, one of my favorites bands, was headlining a tour which was coming to Dallas (where I was living at the time). For what it's worth, it was a great show and one of the best concerts I have been to; but I digress. I probably would have been willing to pay up to $75 to see the show. I logged on to Ticketmaster. The tickets were listed at $32, so I went ahead and bought one. But by the time I actually had the ticket in my hand, my credit card had been charged about $50, meaning the fees and surcharges amounted to more than 50 percent of the ticket's listed price.

Now, theoretically, I should have been thrilled. I was willing to pay $75, I only paid $50, so my consumer surplus was 25 dollars. But I wasn't happy. I was quite angry, because when I first inquired about the price of the tickets, it appeared that my consumer surplus would be closer to $43. Psychologically, what originally looked like a great deal now became only a good deal. I wanted the great deal back!

Ticketmaster pisses people off because they screw with expectations. If the equilibrium price point for that Angels and Airwaves concert was really $50, I would have probably been more satisfied if Ticketmaster had listed the price as $50 and not charged any over-the-top fees.

This strategy basically seems to be the opposite of what every retailer on the planet utilizes. Think about going to a store like a JC Penny's. Nearly every item is always "on sale". You can look at something in the store that used to be really expensive, now it's marked down and is much less expensive, and it feels good to make that purchase, regardless of whether or not you actually get a good deal. JC Penny charges less than the price you are originally presented with. Ticketmaster charges much more.

I can understand why Ticketmaster's pricing strategy might work in a competitive market. Airlines have tons of fees tacked on to their base fares because buyers are really bad at taking the "full cost" into consideration during the purchasing process, and many will book a flight with a slightly lower base fare thinking they are getting a good deal. But Ticketmaster is a monopoly, so they have no need to advertise ticket prices lower than what they are going to change. Where else am I going to get my concert tickets? But they do, and it makes them one of the most hated companies in the world of business...

Comments

nathan said…
An article in the New Yorker tackled Ticketmaster and their pricing issues. It was an excellent article, but it didn't leave me hating Ticketmaster any less than I already do.

The article is at: http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=2009-08-10#folio=034 but you might need a username/password to view it. [If so, contact me and I'll get you a copy.]
Rob Pitingolo said…
Thanks for the tip, Nathan.
Adam said…
The reason I personally hate them is that I can't see why they need to get 18 dollars for that transaction. Its insane. Regardless of whether I would have paid more or not. There is simply no reason for 18 dollars to print out a ticket or email it to me.
Butch Ellis said…
I HATE Ticketmaster! They lie! I was on line the split second Buffett tickets went on sale and the best they offered was way up in the 300's. That's BS! This happens with them all the time! They force early buyers to get inferior tickets to save better ones to tempt later buyers. Ticketmaster abuses their virtual monopoly. They need to be honest and transparent about all "pre-sale" options and how to access them. They need to be honest and transparent about any seats "held back" for any reason and when they will be available. They need to be honest and transparent about any tickets sold to entities (such as scalpers/brokers) other than private individuals who are limited to eight tickets. They need to be honest and transparent about the actual price you will pay for a ticket. They get away with these unethical practices because there is no real alternative. It's time for "TRUTH IN TICKETING" legislation! Who's with me on this?!?  
Butch
I couldn't hate Ticketmaster more. They rip you off with fees, don't let you resell your tix without them charging a ton, and then they make it almost impossible to get your moneyback.

I hate them!

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Mixing Sports and Business

In the last two days I've devoured every article in the Washington Post about the Nationals painful and epic defeat on Friday night in the NLDS. It was a tough way to see the season end, there's no doubt about that.

(from wallyg on Flickr)
These articles make it clear that there are a lot of people emotionally invested in professional sports. I think they sometimes they forget that, ultimately, Major League Baseball is big business. Each team is a major corporation and the league itself is an organization governed by a bunch of executives. The television networks that show the games are under contract with the team owners and the games aren't usually available to those without cable.

This is why it can be so hard to be a fan in this game. It's the multi-millionaire and billionaire owners that call most of the shots. They get to decide how much they're willing to spend on players. They get to decide who to hire as the CEO of the company. They get to decide how much t…