Regional Culinary Traditions

Last winter I watched the episode of Man vs. Food where Adam Richman travels to Minneapolis to eat Jucy Lucys. I have been craving one ever since.

(from flickr user Adam Kuban)

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Cleveland that sells a Jucy Lucy. I asked a buddy who is from Minneapolis, but he claims to not know of anywhere outside of the Twin Cities where you can get a hamburger with gooey cheese cooked in the middle.

I could, in theory, just make one myself. The recipe isn't at all complicated; but I won't do it for the simple reason that my cooking skills are awful. I tried making a cheesesteak recently which, unfortunately, turned out horribly. If I didn't know how good a true Philly cheesesteak is, I might have inadvertently written it off as no good.

Anyway, back to my point. I admittedly don't fully understand why some culinary traditions in the US are so strongly tied to a single region. I understand why international differences in taste are such, but with as much migration that takes place inside the US every year, it's surprising that some traditions are able to stick to a region. I mean, surely there has to be a market for Jucy Lucys in dozens of cities - anywhere where people eat cheeseburgers seems like a good candidate...

Until then, I may just have to add Minneapolis to my city tour if I want to get my hands on a nice Jucy Lucy.

1 comments:

    You have an interesting point. I've never heard of a Jucy Lucy, but if you ever watch the TV show on the cooking channel called "Drive-Ins, Diners, and Dives" you see this type of thing all over the place. That is, where a certain region will have a fabulous looking dish that is not to be found elsewhere. If I'm ever in Minneapolis I'll have to remember to try a Jucy Lucy. Thanks for spreading the word.