More BRT Thoughts

Last week I pointed out that Cleveland’s BRT, the Healthline, is annoyingly slow. I still think it is, but I do have two more things to say on this topic before I put it to rest.

(from flickr user Jason Rossiter)

A friend of the blog asked if I could compare the speed of the Healthline to the old #6 bus that it replaced. My thanks to Gloria Ferris and Jeffrey Gifford for helping me locate old #6 timetables. As it turns out, the Healthline is an improvement. The old #6 traveled at average speeds between 7 and 8 mph, compared to 10.6 mph on the Healthline. That said, being able to beat a tortoise in a race doesn’t necessarily make you fast.

Speaking of races, I also hypothesized that I could ride faster than the Healthline on my bike, and I got my change to put it to the test last Friday. I left work at 3:00pm and pulled up to a Healthline bus shortly after at a red light at Cleveland State. There was a gusty headwind that afternoon, so it took me noticeably longer to get to University Circle than it normally would. Nevertheless, I still handily beat the Healthline in the 4 mile race to University Circle.

0 comments: