Skip to main content

Bagel with Cream Cheese

Here is an economic riddle that has been bugging me for a while now. At the Einstein's Bagels on my college campus, a bagel costs 99 cents. Fair enough. A bagel with cream cheese costs $2.19 - meaning the price of the topping, cream cheese, is more expensive than the bagel itself. But I know that cream cheese itself is not an expensive item - I can buy a tub of cream cheese at Whole Foods for $1.50 and it will be good for about 6-8 bagels.

(from flickr user pirate johnny)

At first I thought maybe it was just the particular Einstein's location that was ripping people off. But then I noticed it just about everywhere I looked.

There are few other toppings that I can think of which exhibit this phenomenon. McDonalds might charge a slight premium for a cheeseburger over a hamburger, as might most restaurants. But even so, it would only be a fraction of the cost of the main dish. What Einstein's is doing would be the equivalent of a Five Guys asking $5 for a hamburger and $11 for a cheeseburger. It just doesn't seem quite right.

Yet spend any amount of time in this Einstein's and there will be plenty of people who order the bagel with cream cheese anyway. I can suggest two possible explanations. If anyone has another theory to add, please do.

1. People don't notice because the price is still very low. The hamburger/cheeseburger example is easy to notice because $11 is a lot more than $5; but the bagel example is harder, because even though the proportions are the same, $2.19 just doesn't seem that much more expensive than 99 cents. And, you might think, $2.19 is a great deal and one of the cheapest things on the menu.

2. The demand curve for bagels with cream cheese is highly inelastic. Perhaps there are people who will not eat a bagel if it is not topped with cream cheese. I don't think anyone caries around a tub of cream cheese with them on campus, so Einstein's can get away with charging a huge premium for cream cheese simply because the customer is not price sensitive to it. Either the customer will buy the combo or will buy nothing - there is no middle ground.

Whatever the case, I will continue buying the bagels and bringing them home where I can apply my own cream cheese for a much lower price.

Comments

austin said…
solution - don't buy cream cheese.

you're a sucker, rob. the can charge it cause you will pay for it. just get asiago bagels. they already have real cheese on them and there is no premium.
Anonymous said…
The labor in applying the cream cheese might be significant in this case, although I suspect it really is just an inelastic demand curve as you said.
Jeffrey said…
I once made a similar observation (out loud) at the Bruegger's on Cedar/Fairmount. I must have said it with a smile because the manager didn't get angry but followed me to the cash register and proceeded to explain the whole thing.

The bagel is one price. Non-published is the slicing price. And you can get the cream cheese separately for a different price. Applying the cream cheese to a sliced bagel is the most common option so they roll all these charges into one package.

So it's a combination of product (bagel, cream cheese) and labor (baking bagel, slicing bagel, spreading cream cheese), not to mention their overhead and free wifi.
Tony Payne said…
I wondered the same thing and also wrote about it. Just happened across your entry and thought I would comment.

It's not just Einstein Bagels, which is also where I used to buy mine, it seems to be everywhere that sells bagels and cream cheese.

It can't be that cream cheese is that expensive, especially as you can buy a whole tub for the price of them putting a shmear on a single bagel.

What I ended up doing, even though I only wanted 4 bagels, was to buy 6 (our Einstein's has an offer of 6 for the price of 5), and a tub of cream cheese, which is enough for 6 bagels with some to spare.

Amazingly enough, that works out cheaper than buying 4 bagels with the cream cheese already spread on them. The difference is enough for me to have a free coffee thrown in!

Another benefit is that in spreading your own cream cheese, you can make sure it's spread "just right", not too thick and not too thin, as so often happens if someone else does it in a hurry.

Popular posts from this blog

In Praise of Southwest's 'C' Boarding Group

A few weeks ago I saw a tweet from someone complaining that their Southwest Airlines boarding pass had been assigned A20 (meaning they would be at least one of the first twenty passengers to board the plane). Apparently this person though they should have been assigned a higher number, less their flight experience be considerably spoiled.

Despite the complaints, Southwest has resisted demands to assign seats on its flights, a decision which I personally applaud. I'll admit that I was skeptical when they rolled out the newest boarding procedure, assigning both boarding groups and a line number; but in hindsight it seems like one of the best operational decisions they've ever made. If nothing else, it effectively eliminated the infamous "cattle call" whereby fliers were getting to airports hours in advance and sitting in line on the floor as if they were waiting for the midnight showing of the new Star Wars movie.

When I was an intern at Southwest Airlines last winter, I…

So You Want to be a Southwest Airlines Intern?

My personal website must have pretty decent SEO - because in the past year, I've received about two dozen emails from aspiring Southwest Airlines interns looking to draw on my experience in search of their own dream internship. In the past two weeks alone a few new emails have already started rolling in...

(from flickr user San Diego Shooter)

If you've found your way here, you might be hoping for the silver bullet; a secret tip that will propel you above the competition. Unfortunately, I do not know any inside secrets. I can only share my experience as an internship candidate about two years ago and, rather than responding individually to future emails I anticipate to receive, I hope that potential interns will find the information posted here valuable.

Understand: Southwest Airlines is a very unique company. The corporate culture at Southwest is truly unlike that of nearly every other company. But you probably already knew that, since it now seems mandatory for every management,…

Mixing Sports and Business

In the last two days I've devoured every article in the Washington Post about the Nationals painful and epic defeat on Friday night in the NLDS. It was a tough way to see the season end, there's no doubt about that.

(from wallyg on Flickr)
These articles make it clear that there are a lot of people emotionally invested in professional sports. I think they sometimes they forget that, ultimately, Major League Baseball is big business. Each team is a major corporation and the league itself is an organization governed by a bunch of executives. The television networks that show the games are under contract with the team owners and the games aren't usually available to those without cable.

This is why it can be so hard to be a fan in this game. It's the multi-millionaire and billionaire owners that call most of the shots. They get to decide how much they're willing to spend on players. They get to decide who to hire as the CEO of the company. They get to decide how much t…